No one wants to do it, but gosh, you kind of have to. I guess you could leave it to the native English teachers at the schools, but they often mess it up.
So that’s why I have this simple and easy and fast ESL phonetics PowerPoint. It’s got 22 slides and all of them look just about like this:
Unfortunately, that’s not really possible for your students…so we recite sentences instead!
But…Isn’t This Boring?
So how do you not make this boring? I mean, it consists of vowels…and phonetics…and rules!
I’m not sure every teacher can make it fun, but you can try, and here are a few ways…with games!
- Teams: You have boys and girls on each side of the class. They take turns reading a sentence, and if they make a mistake they lose a point. So you might want to start each team with 10 points. Whoever has the most points at the end wins. (No points are given out).
- Ball Throw: Try putting different phonetic scripts up on the board. When a student reads a sentence, they have to then try and throw the ball at the correct sound or vowel or whatever. If they hit they get 2 points. If they miss but did a good job they get 1 point.
- Run & Race: Two students, preferably and boy and girl, will race up to the board and slap different phonetic scripts you have their. The one that can name the most words in 5 seconds gets the most points (1 point a word).
- Paper Grab: You have a hat of paper scraps or just have them laid out on the floor. Students pick them, and they either have words or phonetic sounds on them. Students then have to say as many words or sounds as they can to get as many points as they can for their team.
- Monster Draw: Kind of stupid, but you draw a phonetic or vowel monster, and explain to the class where it lives, what sounds it makes, and how it scares the hell out of bad grammar students.
Gosh, maybe this ESL Vowels & Phonetics PowerPoint isn’t that boring after all, huh?
This just might be a fun ESL PPT to add to your repertoire in fact! It’s just $0.99 and it’s got 22-slides. Give it a try today.