I made several ESL geography PowerPoints, highlighted countries and oceans, and showed the different regions of the world. Students always enjoyed them, and there was a lot of new vocabulary words for those that were actually interested.
ESL Deserts PowerPoint
- One of the better PowerPoints is Deserts of the World. This ESL PowerPoint will work great with the Desert Escape ESL adventure game. You can spend one week showing this to your classes and then play the game the next week or two. That could take you a month with some classes!
Here are a few things you should do before class:
- Start off by downloading the PowerPoint and going through the different slides;
- You’ll see a map of the world with 10 deserts highlighted;
- You’ll then see a table showing the size of those deserts;
- Next you’ll go through each of those 10 deserts one-by-one.
What is a Desert?
Not happy? Your students probably won’t be either, and that will spur them to debate. Let them argue back and forth and just sit back and smile as the clock ticks away on your ESL class.
Perhaps you’ve seen the movie “The Gods Must Be Crazy.” You can find it on many online sites, particularly in China where I was teaching. It’s great to show the first 10 to 15 minutes to let the students see what life is like in that desert. And hey, you can always show the whole movie later in the year, or even that class!
Here’s a link for the video:
- Sand Dune
Those words are a great place to start and you’ll probably find that your students can come up with many more.
Have fun with the ESL Deserts of the World PowerPoint, available for free on esladventure.com!